In the 14th century the Genoese built a
nine-sided tower in the western corner of the city, further from the old
city nucleus. It was to serve as their navy base in the Adriatic. When
the Venetians occupied Trogir in 1420, they expanded this tower into the
strong Kamerlengo fortress (Croatian: Tvrđava Kamerlengo). It clearly
reveals the traces of construction in stages. It was named after
Kamerlengo (camerarius), the public servant in charge of financial and
economic affairs. Kamerlengo Castle was connected to St Marks Tower at
one time. Kamerlengo Castle began to deteriorate at the end of the 19th
century and was renovated after the World War II. Today the castle's
interior courtyard is used as a summer stage and open-air cinema.
Tourists can climb to the top of the fortress through a series of
stairways and enjoy the view during the day and also at night when no
movie is showing. Close to Kamerlengo, a "gloriette" was built to remind
the glory of Marmont, chief Marshall of Napoleon's armies in Illyria. It
is one of the few rare monuments of the French authorities in Dalmatia.